Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chair recovery II

I had so much fun re-covering my IKEA chairs that I decided to do another one to use in my craft room.

This time, I bought a used chair off Craigslist. It was old but in fantastic shape... very solid hardwood frame with no loose joints, and only a thin layer of worn varnish. The seat was in such good condition I didn't even have to replace the cotton padding; I just pulled off the vinyl covering and put my new fabric ("Volumes" by Anna Maria Horner for Free Spirit) over top.

Before: After:


How to:
(1) Tighten loose joints, etc. if necessary. Remove the seat and recover (see previous post on chair recovery).

(2) If you want to pain the chair, first remove the existing finish using stripper and a wire brush. Or, if the existing finish is in good condition and you're feeling lazy, just sand it enough to rough up the varnish (be sure to get in all the nooks and crannies) so that the new paint can adhere to it. Use a damp cloth to remove any loose dust, and add a few coats of high-gloss latex or oil paint. For a smooth finish, use thin layers, allowing each layer to dry thoroughly, and buffing it with fine sandpaper before adding the next layer.

(3) Re-attach seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment